On 17 December 1825, Captain William Brind arrived back at the Bay of Islands from England on his new ship Emily. Brind was by now already a familiar figure in the Bay having been a regular visitor there on his previous ship, Cumberland. Captain Brind brought with him stores from England for the mission station which he unloaded before heading off again for the whaling fishery.
Emily made several appearances at the Bay of Islands over the the following two years as Captain Brind established himself a base there and lived with a chief’s daughter between whaling cruises.
By the end of December 1826, Emily’s crew had taken 1800 barrels of whale oil in the 17 months since leaving England but it wasn’t until the following September that Brind sailed Emily back home. There, he unloaded his cargo of whale oil and promptly set sail again for the South Seas on his next ship Toward Castle.